When ‘Standing In The Way Of Control’ roared out of the traps in 2006 the gay and mainstream music and style press were instantly transfixed by the cooler-than-fuck, couldn’t-GIVE-a-fuck figure of Beth Ditto. On this strident queer classic – to date the band’s most famous song – Beth delivered a rallying cry for outsiders everywhere. When she appeared naked on the cover of a 2007 edition of the NME (readership, overwhelmingly male and straight) it became one of the defining cultural moments of LGBT visibility of recent years.
Related PostsDid you like this entry?
Here are a few more posts that might be interesting for you.
- Polari Magazine 2008-2014December 3, 2014 - 6:16 pm
- Tearing Up Their Map: An Interview with LambDecember 2, 2014 - 2:45 pm
- Future Islands • GigDecember 2, 2014 - 1:41 pm
- Puppets with Attitude (at Christmas)December 1, 2014 - 6:30 pm
- The Aesthetic of Voyeurism: Interview with Antonio Da SilvaDecember 1, 2014 - 1:25 pm
- Broke With Expensive Taste • Azealia BanksNovember 28, 2014 - 3:59 pm
- Royalty Strutting on an American College Stage: Miss and Mr. Gay ISU 2014November 27, 2014 - 2:59 pm
- Bright Light Bright Light: Everything I Ever WantedNovember 26, 2014 - 11:15 am
- Jaime Nanci And The Blueboys: ‘Toy’ TalkNovember 25, 2014 - 4:09 pm