Is she or isn’t she? So far as we can tell, Joan Jett (what IS it with the initials JJ, girls? We’ve already had Janis Joplin and Jessie J) has never either confirmed nor denied her sexuality. But while all that remains opaque, what’s certain is that Joan Marie Larkin is the definitive lesbian music icon of our times. A rock ‘n’ roll model, if you like. While her first all-girl band the precocious Runaways rocked and partied harder – much harder – than any of the comparatively timid male outfits on the L.A. scene from which they’d sprung, her subsequent solo career has pretty much felt like an exercise in pussy whipping the guys into shape. In her 5th decade of rocking out she continues to age better than the lot of ‘em put together – and she STILL looks better in leather trousers than Lemmy.
Related PostsDid you like this entry?
Here are a few more posts that might be interesting for you.
- Polari Magazine 2008-2014December 3, 2014 - 6:16 pm
- Tearing Up Their Map: An Interview with LambDecember 2, 2014 - 2:45 pm
- Future Islands • GigDecember 2, 2014 - 1:41 pm
- Puppets with Attitude (at Christmas)December 1, 2014 - 6:30 pm
- The Aesthetic of Voyeurism: Interview with Antonio Da SilvaDecember 1, 2014 - 1:25 pm
- Broke With Expensive Taste • Azealia BanksNovember 28, 2014 - 3:59 pm
- Royalty Strutting on an American College Stage: Miss and Mr. Gay ISU 2014November 27, 2014 - 2:59 pm
- Bright Light Bright Light: Everything I Ever WantedNovember 26, 2014 - 11:15 am
- Jaime Nanci And The Blueboys: ‘Toy’ TalkNovember 25, 2014 - 4:09 pm